How was it for you? - A Review of 2019 Part 1 of 3

It's October and I though I'd write a review of my sporting year as it draws to a close. This is my third year doing triathlon and after a rather flat 2018 I set myself a very challenging schedule.

As the year went by it became even more challenging as events were cancelled and I foolishly entered more to replace them.

Shrewsbury 10k - 17th of March 2019
A chilly sunny day in Shrewsbury
I made a snap decision to enter this when a Facebook post about closing entries flashed up on my feed. Who says advertising doesn't work? A quick check of the calendar showed a clear Sunday which is a rare thing in this household. 

I had been feeling good but wanted to see where I was with the run. I had slumped badly towards the end of the season last year with my Parkrun times falling as low as 32 minutes. Which is crap.

A slight change to the course meant that a direct comparison was not possible however I surprised myself with a 10k PB.

53:38

I had aimed for under the hour and I well and truly smashed that.

Link: https://www.fitnessexperience.co.uk/shrewsbury-10k/





Wombourne Triathlon - 28th of April 2019
In my lovely fleecy cycling top

I had heard good things about this event organised by Black Country Triathletes. I like to support clubs as often as I can. The big companies have enough money right?

It was a cold but dry day thankfully. I didn't relish the run from the pool to transition but carefully found a route that avoided any sharp stones or grit. In transition I made the decision to wear my long sleeve fleecy cycling top and I was glad I did. I was lovely and warm on the ride.

I kept it on for the run and something really strange happened. I actually began to feel like a triathlete. Not just a splasher, thrasher and dasher. I crossed the line in under my target of 1hr:30mins pleased with my effort.

Also pleasing was seeing many others doing their first triathlon. I even gave some advice to others in transition. Check me out eh?




Telford Aquathlon - 5th of May 2019

Me actually passing someone on the run
I had almost forgotten I had done this. Not because I had blanked it from my memory but because it
was such a quick event. 200m pool swim and 2.5km run. Easy right?

Well not a walk in the park as this was still a challenge. It was an early chilly event and I am very pleased to say I finished 8th out of 32.

Although this is an event that is aimed at people new to triathlon it is a great way to sharpen yourself up for the season.



Worcester Sprint Triathlon - 12th of May 2019

Now this is where it started to get serious. I had done this same event in 2018. This where I
Claire and I sightseeing afterwards
could actually measure my progress. I remember being one of the last people out of the swim and walking to transition.

This event has a lovely swim and bike with a run around a sports field. I struggle to get traction on grass and I have been known to turn my ankle on uneven ground. 

I kept an eye out for the aggressive swan and managed to do a quicker swim. My bike was also improved thanks to some recent Time Trials  If you want to improve on a bike get out and ride threshold for half an hour at a time.

Off the bike and into the run I knew I was faster than 2018 but knew my run off the bike could let me down. Thankfully it didn't. I was above average in everything but the swim.

Above average! 😄😄😄😄😄

23 minutes faster than 2018. I was so pleased I even took Claire to visit a country house afterwards. Lucky Girl!



So that wraps up part one of this retrospective on the year. Stay tuned for part two!



Comments